Passports can only be applied for in person (parents and child) by prior appointment.
You will need an appointment for each applicant to apply for a German passport. Appointments for the German Embassy in Wellington and for the Honorary Consul in Auckland have to be booked online using our online booking system. If you apply at the Honorary Consuls , Christchurch, Nadi or Papeete, please make an appointment with them by phone.
The biometric passport for minors is valid for 6 years and is printed by the Federal Printing Office in Berlin.
The following is required for your application:
- Application form
- Parent's signatures
- If one parent cannot be present, the application can still proceed with just one parent attending, provided the signature of the absent parent has been certified on the 3rd page of the passport application and the original passport or a certified passport copy is enclosed. Important: Certifications must be done either by a German Honorary Consul, a German Mission Abroad or a notary public (with seal).
- Valid passports of both parents.
- Marriage certificate/extract of family book if applicable (if in another language, please provide a German or English translation of the certificate)
- If applicable: child’s German naturalisation certificate or parent’s naturalisation certificate
- If the child or one of the parents has made a name declaration, please bring the confirmation of name declaration
- Most recent German local authority de-registration form (‘Abmeldebestätigung’) – only if the last place of residence was in Germany or if a German place of residence is shown in the passport. Not applicable if the child was born abroad
- Two recent, identical passport photos; Please find important information about passport photos here
- Denial of citizenship of one parent, if applicable
- Fingerprints (for European passports of children aged 6 and over) will be taken at the time of application at the Embassy / Honorary Consul
- The child's birth certificate
- Signature of the child (from age 10 onwards)
- A self-addressed courier envelope (please ensure your envelope has a rural ticket if you live at a rural address)
- Please note: Passport pickups are available on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 11:00 a.m. - 11:45 a.m. You will receive a pickup notification by email in advance and will then not need to make an appointment for pickup.
FIRST TIME APPLICATIONS: In certain cases it may be necessary to do a name declaration before you can apply for the first passport for your child. Please read the information provided on our website.
If your child was adopted outside of Germany, please contact us before booking a passport appointment.