Willkommen auf den Seiten des Auswärtigen Amts
Application Schengen Visa
A Schengen Visa has to be applied for if you intend to travel to Germany as a visitor, for business or tourism purposes for up to 90 days within a period of 180 days. You also have to apply for a Schengen visa in case you need to obtain an Airport Transit Visa.
- The German Embassy in Wellington is responsible for processing your application if Germany is your main destination.
- A confirmed return ticket must be presented for the Schengen Visa application
- Please make sure that your travel insurance covers you for Covid-19
The Schengen visa allows you to stay in the following countries for up to 90 days within a period of 180 days:
Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.
The following countries are not part of the Schengen area:
Bulgaria, Cyprus, Ireland, Romania and the United Kingdom.
Schengen Visa needed?
An overview of visa requirements/exemptions for entry into the Federal Republic of Germany can be found here
As of now, the German Embassy will also process Schengen visa applications for Austria again. Please first read the important information under the following links:
Where to apply?
You always have to apply for a Schengen Visa at the embassy of the member state that is your main destination in terms of length or purpose of stay. If no main destination can be determined, the visa has to be applied for at the embassy of the member state whose external border the applicant crosses first.
The German Embassy in Wellington is responsible for processing your application if Germany is your main destination. All applications for short-term visas (Schengen Visas) can only be lodged with the German Embassy in Wellington. Honorary Consuls do not handle any visa applications.
In order to apply for a visa
- Your passport must have at least two empty opposite pages.
- Your passport must have been issued within the last ten years and its validity must exceed the duration of stay in Germany by at least three months
- Furthermore, you must hold a valid visa for New Zealand. Its validity must exceed the duration of stay in Germany by at least three months. Holders of visitor visas must apply for their Schengen Visa in their home country.
- Visa applicants must have their fingerprints taken. Children unter the age of 12 are exempt from the requirement to give fingerprints. Fingerprint scans stored in the Visa Information System (VIS) can be reused for future visa applications within the following five years.
According to the Schengen regulations, you may apply up to 6 months before entry into Germany for your visa. However, due to generally short waiting times for an appointment as well as usual processing time of 7 - 10 days for complete applications, we recommend you apply within 3 months of intended travel to Germany.
Postal applications are only for applicants who have already had a Schengen Visa within the last 5 years, for which fingerprints were successfully taken. Please do not include any fees with your application.
Once your application is complete, you will be contacted by the Embassy via E-Mail with the current visa fee and our bank details for immediate bank transfer.