Biometric passports can only be applied for in person as fingerprints are required. You will need an appointment for each applicant to apply for a German passport. Appointments for the German Embassy in Wellington and for the Honorary Consul in Auckland have to be booked online, using our online booking system. If you apply at the Honorary Consuls Christchurch, Nadi or Papeete, please make an appointment with them by phone. Biometric passports issued to applicants under 24 are valid for 6 years; for applicants over 24 the validity is 10 years.
Please note that your application can only be accepted if the documents below are complete.
Basic requirements for an application are:
- Application form
- Current Passport and/or identity card
- Two biometric passport photos ; please see important information about passport photos here
- Full Birth certificate (if in another language, please also provide a translation into German or English)
- Marriage certificate/extract of German family book, if applicable (if in another language, please provide a German or English translation of the certificate)
- Confirmation of name declaration if applicable
- De-registration form (‘Abmeldebestätigung’) from your last local authority (only applicable if the last place of residence was in Germany or if a German place of residence is still shown in the passport).
- Fingerprints for biometric passports will be taken at the time of application
- Self-addressed courier envelope (please ensure your envelope has a rural ticket if you live at a rural address)
- Please note: Passport pickups are available on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 11am and 11.45am. You will receive a pickup notification by email in advance and will then not need to make an appointment for pickup.
Change of address in your passport
If a New Zealand address is to be entered in your passport, you can do it free of charge and by post. Please send the application form , your de-registration form (‘Abmeldebestätigung’) from your last local German authority, your passport and a self-addressed courier return envelope to the Embassy Wellington.