Biometric passports can only be applied for in person as fingerprints are required. You will need an appointment for each applicant to apply for a German passport. Appointments for the German Embassy in Wellington have to be booked online, using our online booking system. If you apply at the Honorary Consuls in Auckland, Christchurch, Suva or Papeete, please make an appointment with them by phone. Biometric passports issued to applicants under 24 are valid for 6 years; for applicants over 24 the validity is 10 years.
Please note that your application can only be accepted if the documents below are complete.
Basic requirements for an application are:
- passport Application form PDF / 391 KB
- Current Passport and/or identity card
- Full Birth certificate (if in another language, please also provide a translation into German or English)
- Marriage certificate/extract of German family book, if applicable (if in another language, please provide a German or English translation of the certificate)
- Confirmation of name declaration, if applicable
- De-registration form (‘Abmeldebestätigung’) from your last local authority (only applicable if the last place of residence was in Germany or if a German place of residence is still shown in the passport).
- Two biometric passport photos (available at New Zealand Post Shops)
- Denial of Citizenship, if applicable
- Fingerprints for biometric passports will be taken at the time of application
- Self-addressed courier envelope, if postal delivery is preferred