Biometric passports can only be applied for in person by appointment as fingerprints are required. It is no longer possible to extend existing passports. Biometric passports are printed by the Federal Printing Office in Berlin.
Biometric passports issued to applicants under 24 are valid for 6 years; for applicants over 24 the validity is 10 years.
Please note that your application can only be accepted if the documents below are complete. If the documentation is incomplete, you might have to make a new appointment.
Basic requirements for an application are:
- Application form passport Application form PDF / 391 KB
- Current Passport and/or identity card
- Full Birth certificate (if in another language, please also provide a translation into German or English)
- Marriage certificate/extract of German family book, if applicable (if in another language, please provide a German or English translation of the certificate)
- Confirmation of name declaration, if applicable (see below for more information)
- De-registration form (‘Abmeldebestätigung’) from your last local authority (only applicable if the last place of residence was in Germany or if a German place of residence is still shown in the passport).
- Two biometric passport photos (available at New Zealand Post Shops)
- Denial of Citizenship, if applicable
- Fingerprints for biometric passports will be taken at the time of application
- Self-addressed courier envelope, if postal delivery is preferred