Family Reunion Visa

03.12.2019 - Article

If you wish to permanently join a family member in Germany detailed information on the requirements and necessary documents is provided here

Where and How to apply?

Visa applications can only be lodged with the German Embassy in Wellington. Honorary Consuls do not handle any visa applications.

Appointments have to be booked via our online appointment system .
You have to submit your application in person in Wellington. Please note that you can not apply more than 3 months before your entry to Germany.

Who can apply?

Generally you can apply for family reunion as

  • A spouse of a German or EU/EEA-national living in Germany
  • A spouse of a foreign national with residency in Germany
  • Parent of a child under 18 living in Germany or with residency in Germany

Please note that 'De facto' partnerships are not recognised under the family reunion category!

Furthermore only same-sex civil unions are reconized under German law.

New Zealand citizens can travel visa free to Germany and can apply for the necessary permit after arrival at the local immigration office.

What do I need to fill out and provide?

Please have your complete application ready for your appointment and do not include staples, post it notes, paperclips and folders of any kind. The photograph is not allowed to be stapled, glued or blue tacked to the form.

1. Please print out your completed Visa application form

2. Required documentation according to the information sheets:

Family reunion to a child under 18

Family reunion spouse German / Non EU - national

Family reunion spouse EU- national

Read the information leaflet about evidence of basic knowledge of German here

3. Please read the data protection regulation

and print out the data protection signature sheet

4. Visa fee

Important information on the recognition of foreign birth and marriage certificates in Germany

Depending on which country issued the certificate, an Apostille, a legislation or verification of the certificate is required for your visa application. Please note that the process of applying for one of the following may involve a longer processing time.

  1. All certificates issued by New Zealand and all other countries which have signed “The Apostille convention of the Hague” require a so-called Apostille. For New Zealand these are issued by the Department of Internal Affairs .
  2. For other countries, please contact the Embassy of the country that issued the certificate for further information.
  3. Certificates issued by countries which are not part of this convention can be legalized. This legalization is done by the German Embassy or the German Consulate General in the country the certificate was issued in. For further information on this process, please refer to the website of the relevant Embassy or Consulate
  4. In some countries a legalization by the German Embassy is not possible. In these countries a verification of the certificate can be undertaken in most cases by the German Embassy or Consulate there. Please refer to the information on their websites for this procedure
  5. Certificates issued in more than one language (Vienna CIEC agreement) from the following countries do not need any form of recognition.

Belgium, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Estonia, France, Italy, Cap Verde, Croatia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Macedonia, Moldavia, Montenegro, Netherlands, Austria, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Switzerland., Serbia, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey

What happens after your application

The Embassy reserves the right to request further documents or information deemed necessary for processing your application at any time and assumes no responsibility for applications submitted too close to your planned departure.
Applying for a visa does not guarantee that a visa will be issued! Once you have obtained your visa please check carefully that all entries are correct and in accordance with your application.
Upon your arrival the border authorities may examine whether the requirements for your entry continue to be valid. Entry may be refused by the border authorities although you are in possession of a valid visa. We advise you carry with you documents giving evidence to the purpose of your stay.

Top of page