- The German Embassy in Wellington is responsible for processing your application if Germany is your main destination.
- A confirmed return ticket must be presented for the Schengen Visa application
- Please make sure that your travel insurance covers you for Covid-19
- Keep yourself informed about the general information on entry restrictions, testing and quarantine regulations in Germany here
Airport Transit Visa requirements depend on the citizenship of the applicant. Citizens of many countries do not need a Airport Transit Visa to Germany.
Nationals of the following countries do not have the transit privilege and therefore require an airport transit visa (category A):
- Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Jordan *
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- Turkey *
* certain exceptions apply to these countries
Exceptions from the requirement to hold an airport transit visa:
- Holders of valid visas and national residence permits of Schengen countries
- Holders of certain national residence permits from the following countries: Andorra, Japan, Canada, San Marino, United States of America
- Holders of valid visas from the EEA countries (the , Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland)
Is the German Embassy responsible for processing your application?
The German Embassy in Wellington is responsible for processing your application if you transiting through a German Airport.
Only five airports in Germany have an International Transit Area enabling you to transit without formally entering the Schengen area. Please check here for more Information.
Where and How to apply?
Visa applications can only be lodged with the German Embassy in Wellington. Honorary Consuls do not handle any visa applications. According to the Schengen regulations, you may apply up to 6 months before entry into Germany for your visa. However, due to generally short waiting times for an appointment as well as usual processing time of 7 - 10 days for complete applications, we recommend you apply within 3 months of intended travel to Germany.
The Embassy requires that you book an appointment in order to apply for a visa. Appointments have to be booked via our free online appointment system. You have to submit your application in person in Wellington.
Applicants who have already had a Schengen visa within the last 5 years, for which Fingerprints were succesfully taken,may also submit their complete application by post.
In this case payment can only made in cash.
What do I need to fill out and provide?
Citizens of some nationalities require an airport transit visa for the Schengen area. This visa
allows a short stop-over at an international airport only. Neither leaving the airport’s
international transit area, nor overnight stays in a hotel are permitted. If you need to leave the
international transit area (i.e. in order to catch a connecting flight at another airport to leave
the Schengen area), please apply for a regular Schengen visa.
Please contact the Embassy if you are not sure whether you require an airport transit visa.
Before submitting your application at the German Embassy in Wellington, please prepare the
| 1. Please print our your completed visa application form |
2. Required documentation according to the airport transit visa requirements:
For applicants whose spouse or children are EU-citizens:
3. Please read the data protection Regulation
Please print out and sign the data protection signature sheet
4. Visa fees payable cash or credit card; NO EFTPOS!
What happens after your application?
Please do not contact the Embassy about the status of your visa application.
For the time being, it is not possible to pick up your passport in person. As soon as your application has been processed, the passport will be sent to you, using the prepaid and self-addressed courier envelope provided by you at the time of your application.
If all the information on your visa label is correct, you are free to travel. Please check the information on the label as soon as your passport is returned to you. You should let us know immediately if there are any mistakes so that we can issue you a new visa.
Your visa will state your full name and passport number and include your photo. It will also state the period of validity. This is the time period in which you can travel.