Working as an Au Pair in Germany

05.09.2023 - Article

You need to be between 18 and 26 years old in order to apply for an Au Pair visa and be able to prove to have basic knowledge of German. At least one member of your host family needs to be a citizen of the European Union. German must be the spoken language of the family. The minimum duration of stay must be 6 months and cannot exceed 1 year. You find all important information about working as an au pair for German families on the information sheet provided by the “Bundesagentur für Arbeit”.

Where and How to apply?

Visa applications can only be lodged in person by prior appointment with the German Embassy in Wellington. Honorary Consuls do not handle any visa applications. Appointments have to be booked via our online appointment booking System. Please note that you can not apply more than 3 months before your entry to Germany.

What do I need to fill out and provide?

Please have your complete application ready for your appointment and do not include staples, post it notes, paperclips and folders of any kind. The photograph is not allowed to be stapled, glued or blue tacked to the form.

1. Please print out your completed Visa application form

2. Required documentation according to the information sheet

3. Please read the data protection regulation

and print out the and sign the data protection signature sheet

4. Visa fees

What happens after your application
The Embassy reserves the right to request further documents or information deemed necessary for processing your application at any time and assumes no responsibility for applications submitted too close to your planned departure.
Applying for a visa does not guarantee that a visa will be issued! Once you have obtained your visa please check carefully that all entries are correct and in accordance with your application.
Upon your arrival the border authorities may examine whether the requirements for your entry continue to be valid. Entry may be refused by the border authorities although you are in possession of a valid visa. We advise you carry with you documents giving evidence to the purpose of your stay.

Top of page