RESIDENT PERMIT - for students studying in Germany

04.09.2023 - Article
study in Germany
study in Germany© picture alliance/dpa

As an international student you may need an entry visa for Germany depending on where you come from and how long you plan to stay here.

The type of visa you need depends on whether you have already received your notification of admission from a German university.

1. Student applicant visa (“Visum zur Studienbewerbung”)
If you have not yet received notification of admission to a university or foundation course, you should apply for a student applicant visa.

This three-month visa allows you to meet the requirements for admission to a German university. If you find that three months is not long enough, you may extend your visa to a maximum of six months at your local alien authority. If you are admitted to the university or foundation course within this period, you may apply for a student visa.

2. Student visa (“Visum zu Studienzwecken”)
If you have received your notification of admission to university or a foundation course, you should apply for a student visa.

Where and How to apply?
New Zealand citizens can travel visa free to Germany and can apply for the necessary permit after arrival at the local immigration Office.

Visa applications can only be lodged with the German Embassy in Wellington. Honorary Consuls do not handle any visa applications.

Appointments have to be booked via our online appointment system. You have to submit your application in person in Wellington. Please note that you can not apply more than 3 months before your entry to Germany.​​​​​​​

What do I need to fill out and provide
Please have your complete application ready for your appointment and do not include staples, post it notes, paperclips and folders of any kind. The photograph is not allowed to be stapled, glued or blue tacked to the form.

1. Please print out your Visa application form

2. required documentation according to the information sheet

3. Please read the data protection regulation

and print out and sign the data protection signature sheet

4. Visa fee

Please note the following important advice for your evidence of proof of sufficient funds for studies in Germany:
Applicants have to show proof of sufficient funds for the entire duration of their studies or courses (no less than 934 €). If the duration of stay is more than one year evidence of funds must be provided for the first year only. If you do not hold a German scholarship for your studies you must open a blocked bank account with a bank in Germany. Providers of blocked bank accounts can be found through the Internet. The German term for this is 'Sperrkonto'.

What happens after your application
The Embassy reserves the right to request further documents or information deemed necessary for processing your application at any time and assumes no responsibility for applications submitted too close to your planned departure.
Applying for a visa does not guarantee that a visa will be issued! Once you have obtained your visa please check carefully that all entries are correct and in accordance with your application.
Upon your arrival the border authorities may examine whether the requirements for your entry continue to be valid. Entry may be refused by the border authorities although you are in possession of a valid visa. We advise you carry with you documents giving evidence to the purpose of your stay.

Helpful links:
Study in Germany
Make it in Germany
A guide for your first weeks in Germany: Arrival App

Top of page